Engagement songs and wedding songs are pretty much interchangeable because they
serve the same purpose. For both an engagement party or a wedding, music can
really set the mood.
As a bride-to-be, it's a good idea to start thinking about the music and song lists
that will set the tone for your upcoming nuptials. It actually takes much more
time than you think.
Listening to samples of
songs on iTunes is a great way to start, but first you need to have some idea of
what you want and what kind of songs you need.
When all is said and done, there are basically two categories of engagement songs that
you'll need: Party Songs and Love Songs.
Engagement Songs: Classic Party Songs
We classify party
the types of engagement songs that get a party moving and shaking—they energize the place! They turn
what could be a ho-hum gathering into a party! They set the mood, they
invigorate the guests and create atmosphere.
And in order to do that, they need to be familiar to everyone.
That means all your guests, young and old,
local and those from far away lands, all need to know the songs, otherwise the
atmosphere and energy we mentioned will be relegated to a small few who will end
up having their own party within the party.
The last thing you want is a party divided, so make sure the engagement songs you choose
for the purpose of creating a party atmosphere will work for most, if not all of
You know all those classic party songs that you hear at every wedding,
engagement party, or big bash? The ones that are ooh, so cheesy and you've heard
a hundred times before? Well, those are exactly the type of songs you should
include because they do exactly what you want them to do—get the party
So without further ado...drum roll please...
- YMCA | The Village People |
This song is a pop culture classic probably because it makes
people happy that they know the dance.
- Dancing Queen | ABBA | 70's are always a hit and really almost any ABBA song works at
- Brown Eyed Girl | Van Morison
| He sure knows how to make every brown eyed girl feel special.
- Macarena | Los Del Rio | Look, you might not like it and it does get a little repetitive
but after a couple of drinks it's really fun.
- Achy Breaky Heart | Billy Ray Cyrus | Every wedding needs a good country line up even if
you've never been to Texas.
- Ain't No Mountain High Enough | Diana Ross | The lyrics are
a little bit on the stalker side but the tune is great.
- Shook Me All Night Long | AC DC | Not sure what this one is about... but if it makes
- We Are Family | Sister Sledge | A tension reliever if the two families do not get along.
- Celebration | Kool & The Gang | Isn't that what you are doing?
- Sweet Caroline | Neil Diamond | Never make fun of Neil Diamond. He is one of our favorites.
- Stayin' Alive | Bee Gees | Works well if you can handle those high pitched voice.
- Twist and Shout | The Beatles | A MUST!!!
- Play That Funky Music | Wild
Cherry | The simplicity of the words makes every drunk
- Girls Just Want To Have Fun |
Cindy Lauper | Works really well if you got lots of
single bridesmaids in ugly dresses.
- Come On Eileen | Dexy's Midnight Runners | We had to throw an 80s song to the mix.
- Respect | Aretha Franklin | You tell'em girl!
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love |
Queen | Isn't that why you
are getting married?
- Grease Mega Mix | John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John | From young to old this song
makes everyone happy :)
- Blister In The Sun | Violent
Femmes | As long as your grandma doesn't know what this
song is about go ahead, play it! Play it loud!
- White Wedding | Billy Idol | How can you not play this one as one of your wedding party
- A B C | Jackson Five | It's OK , you're never too old to learn your ABCs.
- Crazy In Love | Beyonce
Featuring Jay-Z | Worked well for them.
- Kokomo | Beach Boys | Works
well if you loved Cocktail, the 80s & The Beach Boys
Engagement Songs: Classic Love Songs
Whether it's your engagement party or the wedding itself, love songs are an
important element when celebrating your commitment to one another.
We used around half of the song list below for our engagement party, and the other half at our
wedding. A couple of them were so good and well received that we used them
at both, like "when a man loves a woman" and "save the best for last".
Engagement songs about love will touch everyone's heart so make sure that you
throw a few "older" songs in for good measure and for the enjoyment of the more
"senior" guests at your party.
If you're like most couples, you've racked your brains for weeks while
religiously listening to the radio, every CD you own and your complete iTunes
list. You've searched through all the wedding love songs and romantic songs you could find
to make up your perfect engagement song list.
like this song, your partner likes another and you can't agree on what will
later be known as 'your song'. Yep, some couples pick an engagement song for their engagement
So before you call the whole thing off, here's our list of over 100 love songs
that make up our complete list of engagement songs.
- Ain’t No Other Man | Christina Aguilera
- All For Love | Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Steward
- Always On My Mind | Elvis Presley
- Are You Lonesome Tonight? | Elvis Presley
- Baby Hold On | The Dixie Chicks
- Baby Love | The Supremes
- Be Without You | Mary J. Blige
- Bless the Broken Record | Rascal Flatts
- Bonita Applebum | A Tribe Called Quest
- Bonnie and Clyde | Jay Z featuring Beyonce
- By Starlight | Smashing Pumpkins
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight | Elton John
- Can’t Get You Out of My Head | Kylie Minogue
- Chapel of Love | The Dixie Cups
- Chasing Cars | Snow Patrol
- Come As You Are | Nirvana
- Crazy | Gnarls Barkley
- Crazy | Patsy Cline
- Crazy for You | Madonna
- Crazy In Love | Beyonce featuring Jay Z
- Dancing Cheek To Cheek | Frank Sinatra
- Don’t You Want Me | The Human League
- Every Breath You Take | The Police
- Fantasy | Mariah Carey
- Fell In Love With a Girl | The White Stripes
- Forever and Ever, Amen | Randy Travis
- From This Moment | Shania Twain
- Glory of Love | Bette Midler
- Have I Told You Lately | Rod Stewart
- Head Over Heels | Tears for Fears
- Heartbeats | The Knife
- Hello Darlin’ | Conway Twitty
- Hey Lover | LL Cool J featuring Boyz II Men
- Hey There Delilah | The Plain White T’s
- Hopelessly Devoted To You | Olivia Newton John
- House of Cards | Radiohead
- How Do I Live | Trisha Yearwood
- I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You | Elvis Presley
- I Got You Babe | Sonny and Cher
- I Melt With You | Modern English
- I Need Love | LL Cool J
- I Used To Love Her | Common
- I Walk the Line | Johnny Cash
- I Will Always Love You | Dolly Parton
- I Will Always Love You | Whitney Houston
- I’ll Make Love to You | Boyz II Men
- I’ll Stand by You | The Pretenders
- I’m On Fire | Bruce Springsteen
- In My Life | The Beatles
- In The Air Tonight | Phil Collins
- It Had To Be You | Frank Sinatra
- It’s Oh So Quiet | Bjork
- Killing Me Softly | The Fugees
- Kiss From a Rose | Seal
- Like a Prayer | Madonna
- Lovesong | The Cure
- Ms. Jackson | Outkast
- My Heart Will Go On | Celine Dion
- My Life would Suck Without You | Kelly Clarkson
- My Love | Justin Timberlake
- My Love | Petula Clark
- Never Tear Us Apart | INXS
- No.1 Crush | Garbage
- Nobody’s Supposed to Be Here | Deborah Cox
- Nothing Compares 2 U | Sinead O’Connor
- One | U2
- Poker Face | Lady Gaga
- Rosanna | Toto
- Save the Best for Last | Vanessa Williams
- Secret Garden | Bruce Springsteen
- Sexual Healing | Marvin Gaye
- Slow Hands | Interpol
- Smooth Operator | Sade
- Somebody Like You | Keith Urban
- Someone to Watch Over Me | Linda Ronstadt
- Something About the Way You Look Tonight | Elton John
- Something | The Beatles
- Sour Girl | Stone Temple Pilots
- Standing In the Way of Control | The Gossip
- Sweet Love | Anita Baker
- Take a Bow | Madonna
- Take Me Out | Franz Ferdinand
- Take My Breath Away | Berlin
- Teenage Love | Slick Rick
- The Look That You Give That Guy | The Eels
- The Power of Love | Celine Dion
- The Rose | Bette Midler
- The Sweet Escape | Gwen Stefani
- The Way We Were | Barbra Streisand
- The Wind Beneath My Wings | Bette Midler
- Time After Time | Cyndi Lauper
- Today I Started Loving You Again | Merle Haggard
- Toxic | Britney Spears
- Umbrella | Rihanna
- Unanswered Prayers | Garth Brooks
- Unbreak My Heart | Toni Braxton
- Unchained Melody | The Righteous Brothers
- Under the Bridge | Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Walking After You | Foo Fighters
- We Belong Together | Mariah Carey
- What’s On Your Mind | Eric B. & Rakim
- When a Man Loves a Woman | Percy Sledge
- When I Fall In Love | Nat King Cole
- When I Think of You | Janet Jackson
- With or Without You | U2
- Wonderful Tonigh | Eric Clapton
- Wonderwall | Oasis
- You're All I Need To Get By | Method Man featuring Mary J. Blige
- You Are So Beautiful | Joe Cocker
- You Belong With Me | Taylor Swift
- You Got Me | The Roots featuring Erykah Badu
- You’re Still the One | Shania Twain
- You’ve Got a Friend | Carole King
- Your Song | Elton John
Engagement Songs for 2013
Mix in a few of the latest and greatest songs to make your playlist current. The classics are important because EVERYONE knows them
and they'll make sure that you won't have any wallflowers sitting on the
sidelines but sprinkling in some current songs is still always a good idea.
- Kiss Me | Ed Sheeran
- Ho Hey | The Lumineers
- I Will Wait | Mumford and Sons
- Heartbeat | The Fray
- To Make You Feel My Love | Adele
- Quando, Quando, Quando | Michael Buble and Nelly Furtado
- Heart Attack | Demi Lovato
- Feel This Moment | Pitbull and Christina Aguilera
- Marry You | Bruno Mars
- Lovesong | Adele
- Overjoyed | Matchbox Twenty
- Beautiful | Mariah Carey and Miguel
These two lists combined have over 140 engagement songs, party songs, and love songs
and should definitely help you
in your quest to find the perfect music mix for you and your guests. But, here's
one more thing we want you to think about when putting your whole playlist
together for both your
engagement party and wedding.
Engagement Songs: The Secret Song
Is there a song that reminds you both of a special
romantic moment you shared
together? Turn it into a secret song shared between you and your fiancé(e)
and include it somewhere in your playlist.
It's so romantic to have your own private secret song that will make you look
and find each other during the party when it starts to play out of the blue. A
secret song is a must-do and the most romantic addition to anyone's list of
Have fun with your music and enjoy the party!